Planning & Building Department Limited Operations
***City Hall is closed to the public at this time.***
NOTICE OF LIMITED OPERATIONS RELATED TO COVID-19
***Updated April 3, 2020***
Effective April 3, 2020 – April 30, 2020 (subject to change)
Consistent with the ORDER OF THE NAPA COUNTY HEALTH OFFICER issued on April 2, 2020 (Napa County Order), the Calistoga Planning and Building Department is providing “Essential Governmental Functions” while the Order is in effect.
The Department’s Essential Governmental Functions include support for building permits and inspections for essential projects that are:
· Related to new housing units
· Related to the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences to avoid displacement of residents
· Related to the safety, sanitation and essential operation of Essential Businesses, as defined by the Order.
Permits and inspections for non-Essential Government Functions will be deferred until after the Order’s expiration.
Department Office Closure to the Public
In compliance with the Order’s Social Distancing Requirements, the Department’s offices will be closed to the public to protect the health and safety of staff and the public.
Please interact with Department staff through the phone numbers and email contacts listed at the end of this document, which will be monitored every weekday. Please include the subject, property location, and your contact information when calling or emailing.
Planning Section staff will be working outside the office on land use entitlements and other planning matters to the extent feasible.
The following protocol has been established to continue delivery of essential services and allow applicants to continue to submit plans for the essential projects outlined above for processing, while still protecting staff and community members.
· Certain permit applications can be submitted via our online portal at http://www.ci.calistoga.ca.us/city-hall/departments-services/planning-building-department/building-division
· For permits that cannot be submitted via our online portal, please provide plans electronically via email, a file transfer service, e.g. Dropbox or Box. Hard copies of plans are discouraged but may be submitted by mail or placed in the mailbox behind City Hall. Please contact staff by phone or email if you leave materials in the mailbox.
· Submitted plans will be reviewed by staff for completeness and to determine the applicable fees. Applicant will be informed by email of materials/information needed to complete the application submittal and the applicable fees.
· Payments may be made by credit card only by calling the Department on weekday mornings between 9 am and 12 pm.
· Applicant will be called or emailed to schedule a time to pick up the permit and plans at the Department.
· All construction sites shall follow the protocols as established in the Napa County Order, particularly as noted in Appendix B. Compliance shall be subject to monitoring and enforcement by both the City of Calistoga and the County of Napa.
Building Permit Inspections
· During this period, inspections will be limited to those related to permits for essential projects. Inspections for non-essential projects will be deferred until the Order has been rescinded.
· Call or email the Building Section to schedule an inspection.
· If the work to be inspected is minor in nature, you may be asked to defer the inspection to a later date or to provide by email a self-certification of the work. Self-certification is only available for a limited scope of construction such as slab reinforcement, drywall screws or insulation. You will need to contact the Building Section to verify whether your project qualifies for self-certification or to confirm certain inspections where an approved special inspection firm is employed.
· If an in-person inspection is scheduled, the applicant shall provide ready access to the site and area to be inspected, have all work completed for the inspection, leave notes for the inspector, and not have any workers in the inspection area of the job site or make any personal contact with the inspector. The inspector will not enter an occupied building or dwelling unit and may choose to defer inspections of interior spaces.
· Follow-up by the inspector will be by email with a written note or sign-off of the completed inspection. It should be the objective of all parties involved to use email, phone contact, Skype, Facetime, photographs, etc. to avoid any direct personal contact.
How to Contact Us
The Planning and Building Department is responsible for overseeing and guiding development activities in the City of Calistoga.
Department functions include:
- administration of building and planning regulations
- assistance to the public on City permit applications, land use and zoning information
- code enforcement
- assistance to the Planning Commission and City Council
- environmental review
Normal Hours of Operation and Contact Information
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Closed 12:00 - 12:30 pm for lunch
(Note: City Hall is currently closed to the public during the emergency declaration)
Planning and Building Department
1232 Washington Street
Calistoga, CA 94515
Email Planning Division: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Building Division: email@example.com